As a gift giver, do you love surprising people with an unexpected and lovely gift? Do you shy away from the ordinary and traditional? While it is gaining in popularity, giving a honeymoon gift basket is still an uncommon gift. This could also be considered a wedding gift basket or a bridal shower gift basket.
The most important thing to remember here is when and how the newlyweds will be traveling. If they are flying, what you gift them should take that into consideration. If you are giving them something on the home end, you want to make sure that it won’t overfill their luggage, contain things that shouldn’t be on airplanes, or cause them to have to check luggage when they are used to flying carry-on only. The same applies if you are calling ahead to have a gift basket made or left for the couple, you do not want them to be stuck figuring out how to bring things home. Your options are a lot wider when the couple will be driving to their honeymoon destination.
Some Things to Remember
If you are giving any risqué, keep the recipients in mind. Also take note of your relationship to the couple. If you’re a parent, grandparent, old family friend, etc, it is likely inappropriate. The couple will have to transport this basket and its contents, at least partially. Do not give them so many activities and gift certificates (unless they were requested) that they will be unable to plan their own time while away! Think about which gifts are most suited to the honeymoon location; hot chocolate at a tropical and sunny resort doesn’t make as much sense as it does at a ski resort or at a cabin! Carting your possessions through Italy probably means you do not want wine glasses with you!
Without further ado, here is the list to get some ideas percolating:
Honeymoon Gift Basket Ideas
- Collapsible Basket or Picnic Basket
- Beach Bag or Tote Bag – consider having it personalized
- Luggage – This works best if they have it on their registry and you give it to them well in advance!
- Deck of Cards
- Small 2 Person Game (ie Cribbage, Chess)
- Champagne or Wine (Full size or individual bottles)
- Fun and/or Gourmet Snacks
- Napkins or Wet Ones to go with the Snack Food
- Pair of Wine Glasses – from their registry, of course
- Massage Oil, Massage Bar
or Massage Candle
- Gift Certificate for a Local Activity – Here is a post full of honeymoon activity ideas!
- - Horse Drawn Carriage Ride
- - City Tour
- - Scuba Diving
- - Skydiving
- - Luxury Car Rental
- - Wine Tasting
- Gift Certificate for a Local Restaurant (or Room Service)
- Gift Certificate for Spa Treatments or Massage
- Gift Certificate for Professional Photograph (ie on a Cruise or at an All Inclusive)
- Bubble Bath or Bath Salts
- Pair of Bath Robes
- Printed Love Poem
- Magazines or Light Reading (ie Chicken Soup Books)
- Sunscreenand/or Bug Spray - depending on the destination! Maybe you want to give hand warmer packs instead!
- Gift Certificate for a Photobook
- Gift Certificate for Photo Printing
- Personalized Luggage Tags
- Map of the Area
- Gum or Mints – Check out these cute heart covered mint tins!
- Medicines – Think Hangover or Upset Stomach
- Manicure Set and/or Nailpolish (most brides will have done their nails for the wedding, but may want to keep them looking great for the honeymoon)
- Scented Candle(s) – especially in a tin so it is easy to bring home
- Perrier or Soft Drinks
- Just Married/Do Not Disturb Door Hanger
- Tea and/or Hot Chocolate Packets
- Coffee or Tea Mugs from the registry
- Passport Covers - you could even get matching couple’s ones!
- A Postcard to write to themselves – complete with their mailing address and a stamp
- A Boa
- Kama Sutra
- A Handheld GPS – for the big spender and the gear-hounds!
- Sudoku or Crossword Puzzles
- Travel Guide for the Area
- Disposable Underwater Camera
- Rose Petals (real or fake)
- Tasteful Intimate Items
- Flasks - plain silver, a couple’s set or a cute and fun pattern
- “Just Married” Flip Flops for Ladies or for Men
- Beach Wrap
- Aloe Vera Gel - I’m one of those people that burns all the time.
- Local Currency
- Necklace with New Monogram (if there’s a name change and the recipient would wear it!) – Etsy is a great place to find these.
- If you know the couple will be getting a rental car at their destination, consider calling ahead and upgrading their rental to a fancier car!
- Table Topics are a fun way to spark conversation and there’s even a Travel Honeymoon Set
If you are after more activity based ideas, click to read a post of honeymoon activity and upgrade gift ideas.
For even more fantastic honeymoon gift basket ideas, head to Christina’s blog Carolina Charm and take a look at her awesome list of honeymoon basket items, plus a heap of pictures. Here’s a sneak peak-
Do you have any other suggestions? Have you ever received an unexpected gift basket?
[Photo - CC Attribution - Contentment Sikher]